Thursday, July 31, 2014

Laundry Room Makeover



Buying your first home is super, duper exciting. After years of sinking money into a rental, I was so happy to have a place of our own. We could actually paint the walls a color I wanted. I mean, Husband got to voice his opinion too, but it didn't go far. I wasn't trying to be a controlling bitch, but as a bachelor, his definition of decorating included a bottle of WD40 on the bookshelf. I’m not even kidding.

So we purchase our new home and I decide to tackle the laundry room first. Why? Because I spend far more time than I care to admit in that tiny area behind the kitchen. There’s so much damn laundry. The walls were naked, the giant water heater is an eye-sore, the utility sink looks gross … it was just not working for me. Let the makeover being!






I chose Tiffany blue for the walls. I’m completely in love with the color. I literally took a Tiffany’s box to Home Depot to match the color. It was perfect. Hubby and I got the whole room painted in a weekend. I'm glad we started with this room too, because if you've never painted a room before, the laundry room is a good one to start with. 

The previous owners had put a shelf up, but it wasn't mounted in studs. I buy the Sam’s Club size laundry detergent, which is fairly heavy, so a sturdy shelf was necessary. Hubby replaced the old shelf with a sturdy, thick, white shelf and black brackets. I also bought a cookie jar for about $5 at Walmart which I use to put OxyiClean in.



Now I’ll admit that I have no clue how to sew so making a skirt for the utility sink myself wasn't going to happen. I searched online for them too, but I was not about to pay $50+ for one either. What the hell did I make the skirt out of then? I used double stick Velcro and a black curtain panel that I got on clearance at Target. Stick one side of the tape to the outside of the sink and the other to the curtain. Boom. $10 sink skirt.



I also added a mirror behind the sink and a shelf to the wall on the left for storage. I also grabbed a bath towel and hand towel at Target for the shelf. And, of course, a few fake flowers on the sink with some hand soap.

To help hide the water heater and central vac, I put up a tension rod with two more black curtain panels and one pretty panel with a black and white chandelier design. I can’t find the link for that specific panel anymore, but Target sells a similar one. I also had Hubby put up a few hooks on the right wall and used two of my wooden hangers because they're pretty and functional.



Total Time: Weekend Project
Total Cost: Around $200



xoxo
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment